All the companies, know clearly that the implementation of the technology in production and distribution systems is crucial to the development and business success
In the process of automation and mechanization for warehouse management, automation technology is, as important as, the implementation project itself. The new production and consumption patterns and the important role that e-commerce plays, make the optimal performance of a warehouse essential. Any company that has a huge stock on its warehouses (pharmaceutical centers, parts producers, logistics companies, etc.) can significantly increase its efficiency into the packaging, classification or picking processes, replenishment of goods and the stock control, using mechanized and automated systems.
For the efficient management of an automated warehouse, three basic elements are required:
- The use of mechanized systems (conveyor belts, elevators, roller conveyors, robots, etc.)
- The use of electronic elements (digital scanners, bar code readers, control modules, connectivity system…)
- The proper synchronization and coordination of the above elements, through warehouse management software.
It must be taken into account that no automated process will be really efficient if its design, implementation and start-up, as well as all maintenance and management processes, have not been correctly managed. A proper design of an intelligent warehouse must assure that it covers all our current requirements and even foreseeing future expansions or modifications.
One of the key points in the management of a warehouse is the movement of goods within it. This is where conveyor belts play a fundamental role. Thus, the conveyor system must be capable of withstanding a high-level workflow plan, be highly efficient and require a minimum maintenance.
The automation in a warehouse and the use of advanced management systems will allow increasing the productivity of a company as follows:
- Significantly reducing orders preparation time.
- Increasing accuracy and minimizing mistakes in picking
- Saving space and increasing the storage density. It will be the mechanical elements that select the product and put it through conveyor belts, so that direct access to the storage point by operators is not required.
- Increasing efficiency through the joint work of all automated systems. It allows monitoring and control of storage conditions (temperature and humidity control sensors)
- Stocks and replacement control: arrival, departure or expiration dates.
Modernization and investment in automation technology is the key to a company success. it is a high cost investment, however it is important to keep in mind that for a smart store to achieve its maximum performance, the implementation and use of this technology must be optimized and based on a thorough design of the specific requirements of our company. Likewise, a proper maintenance of the system and its management will be essential in terms of efficiency and return on investment.